One part Eastwood,
One part Astaire.
Add a dash of Bogart.
Shake, strain and enjoy.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Rugged/Refined: Weather


The great monsoon is upon us.  New York City has been drenched in rain over the past 48 hours. According to wunderground.com this is now the wettest March on record with 9.18 inches measured over the span of the month at LaGuardia Airport.  3.92 inches alone have fallen in Central Park just from this storm!

However, foul weather is still no excuse to look schlubby.  I actually awoke in an excited state this morning.  Living on the top floor of a 6th floor walk-up that is nestled between buildings generally makes judging the weather near impossible... except for rain.  Like Poe's Raven, I can hear it tap, tap, tapping on my ceiling in a rhythmic ploy to lull me back into a deep slumber.  But not today - I had been waiting for rain like this - the first true test of my new Bean hunting boots.  Strings taught around my ankle, I grabbed my navy raincoat and faithful dandy umbrella, all but skipping out of the door.  As I approached the corner of 3rd Avenue, I spotted a devilishly tempting beast staring at me - a puddle so big, Nessie could have been roaming its deepest fathoms.  Now I wasn't a kid even when I was a kid.  I've always had a sense of control and propriety, BUT I'll fully admit that at the ripe old age of 27, I wanted to romp in that bad-boy like a 4-year old on Red Bull just to see what my foot Zodiacs could handle.

Besides playing with new toys, simply experimenting with functional style and accessories can turn out to be the bright spot in an otherwise dreary day.

Now if I could just find myself a decent rain suit...



It takes a rugged man to sport this outfit.
Now you know why we should trust him.

L.L. Bean Signature Waxed Canvas Hunting Shoe, $129 
(from previous post)

Brooks Brothers New Stick Umbrella: $60

No comments:

Post a Comment