One part Eastwood,
One part Astaire.
Add a dash of Bogart.
Shake, strain and enjoy.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

3D Style?


A few weeks back I bit the bullet and went to see Avatar.  I'll admit, I was a doubter.  I had no real desire to cave to the pressure of seeing this "epic" or to boost the box office stats with my presence and in turn inflate James Cameron's ego further.  I don't generally enjoy sci-fi.  I've never seen Star Trek, Star Wars or anything star related.  I am nerdy and weird enough without having that monkey on my back.

I was wrong. Avatar was truly entertaining and visually stunning.  The movie equivalent of seeing Miranda Kerr naked (which would be equally awesome in 3D IMAX).  My opinions of Cameron aside, he is a master of his craft.  I'll never deny him that.    

As much as I enjoyed the movie I was glad to see Avatar romped at the Oscars.  The real accomplishment of the film was in the imagination and technical prowess of the fictional world, which was was justly honored with many gilded naked man statutes.  The story, however, has been told 100 times and did not deserve a Best Picture win.


Image: Bam's Blog

Perhaps the other crowning achievement was oddly enough in style. Avatar brought with it a resurgence in the 3D movie experience and in tow a chance to upgrade the accessories.  I mean, is it me or have we have made some serious advancements in the style points awarded to 3D glasses?  I felt like Scorcese screening a rough cut instead of a geek engrossed in a campy horror flick.  These natty frames combine the likes of the Rayban Wayfarer with a pair of Moscot Originals!  I know they ask viewers to recycle them, but with a slew of 3D movies to be released this year, those specs left with me.  Not to fear, they will be recycled (in use)... much to my movie going enjoyment.

Then.

Now.

 3D glasses: a classically cool love child.
Image: Rayban.com
Image: Moscot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment