One part Eastwood,
One part Astaire.
Add a dash of Bogart.
Shake, strain and enjoy.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

All In The Details: Work Boot Laces



I have a pretty lack dress code at work and generally try to strike a nice balance between rugged and refined.  Most days you will find me in jeans or cords and a crisp dress shirt - sometimes sweater, sometimes tie.  My co-workers consistently dress... wellllll... anyway, I enjoy jockeying within my styles.  It's one of the better parts of my day deciding on how to present myself and what look I want to carry.  Mondays bring a hankering for gray flannel and a strudy brogue, especially during Mad Men seasons.  On Wednesday you might find me in a mix - jeans, a button down and knit tie.  And by Friday I might be channeling Newman in rolled up jeans, boots and a rugged work shirt.  I find the loose restrictions and therefore play in wardrobe to be an added benefit in my job, one that the HR drones don't screw with.  Not to mention the enjoyment of scaring my co-workers who think that a tie, any tie (even with jeans), means I have an interview.  It still amazes me how scared people get of a piece of fabric tied around someone's neck.  "Ahhh, whadya so dressed up for??"

I look for little things in my wardrobe each day that stand out.  I tend to stick to basics for the most part and lately concentrate on fit more than pattern in an attempt to build a solid, well constructed closet.  Amongst the sea of navy, gray and white I like to find a splash of color to break the monotony, be it a watchband, D-ring belt, socks or most recently, shoe laces.     

One of the first pair of shoes I bought when I moved to NY were Clarks Original Desert Boots (ahem, before they were trendy) and as you can see they have been well worn.  Around the first week of October, in anticipation of the pending cold, I added a pair of Red Wings to the mix to ease the stress on these workhorses.  After a week of wearing the Red Wings I was disappointed that the particular model I was sporting didn't come with the classic red and yellow work boot laces.  Most of the other models were dressed in them, but not the Iron Ranger that I had purchased via J. Crew.  On my way to get my coffee and bagel one morning, I poked into my shoe place on 38th and Madison and bought a pair to swap out later that day.  Best $3 I have spent in months.  They changed the entire look of the boot, constrasting the chocolate brown color perfectly.

A week later, after the initial glee of my new Red Wings wore off I decided to stop ignoring the Clarks and give them an honest days work.  As I strolled to the subway, I couldn't help but notice that they now looked so bland and boring.  The original brown cloth laces were battered and droopy.  Harking back on my recent delight in work boot laces, it hit me that they could offer the same spruce to these old dogs.  

So back to my shoe guys for another pair... "you know what, give me a couple pairs in the 2 sizes you have" I requested.  Again the aged cobbler pulled the dust covered box from under the counter and produced my desire.  I knew they wouldn't go to waste and I liked the particular look of these versus the ones found in a drug store.  A little more red, in a little deeper hue - calling to mind the colors of my alma mater.  No branding. No excessive plastic packaging.  Just a piece of paper that read "Shoe Laces", "One Pair" and "Made in the U.S.A" with the length in inches.  I thought the wrapper so cool that I saved it and tacked the design to my bedside bulletin board.  I adore the font assigned to "Shoe Laces" - reminds me of a name patch stitched to the jumpsuit of a 1950s gasoline attendant.  And for all I know these laces have been in the shop since the 50s, judging by the dust on that box.

The maroon and gold laces again changed the look and added character to the simple silhouette of the boot.  Now, strangly, I feel like I am wearing a brand new pair, except with the all the comforts of being broken in.  It has made me - think what other pairs of shoes do I have that could use a lace overhaul?

Too often do we, myself included, get caught up in labels, brands and price to make us think that we are fashionable - forgetting that design, color, fit and creativity are the true champions of sartorial success. The smallest details can really create the biggest impact on style.  In this case $3 was all it took to redefine the look of an old favorite.











No comments:

Post a Comment