One part Eastwood,
One part Astaire.
Add a dash of Bogart.
Shake, strain and enjoy.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Saddle Up Partner

In general I don't like shopping online. I hate paying for shipping, I can't try sizes and most of all I am impatient. That week between hitting the "place order" button and final delivery is torturous. All I can think about is "what if it doesn't fit, then I have 2 more weeks before I can experience the fleeting satisfaction of my purchase". Lately I have had to do more and more online ordering though: J. Crew's Urban Slim Fit pant is exclusively available online, Land's End and L.L. Bean only exist in the virtual world and I am otherwise finding my size forever "out of stock" even in the vast retail wilderness that is New York. But there is a bright spot to this process - when you forget that you ordered something and it arrives on an ugly, boring day.

Let's all give a warm welcome to The Kennett:



Image: Florsheim
"Thank you, Thank you.  Glad to be here!

Please you're too kind" 

After loading up on two versions of Sperry TopSiders last spring, this year I was looking for an equally distinct summer shoe to don as the weather starts to warm. In the vastness of my daily sartorial readings I was noticing a resurgence in the saddle shoe this season. Even as recent as last year I would have never considered this style, thinking it much too immature and costume-y. The last time I was in a pair of saddle shoes, if ever, I was most likely dressed like a show pony in a gray Eton suit laying on a photographer's pillow. If my personality of today resided in that little boy of yesteryear he would have stood up and said "Ma, you're kidding me right?! Do you want me to get my ass kicked? I look like a god damn fool!"

On second look though, the redesign of many brand's saddle shoes have slimmed down the silhouette to a more streamlined and less chunky shape. Now when I look at how the shoe is being styled with slim pants and sockless ankles, I can't get them out of my head. The saddle shoe is, afterall, a timeless prep staple and one that I am now glad to finally own under my discretion.

Not only is this shoe style a first for me, but so too is the brand. I have always by-passed Florsheim on my walk up Madison Avenue for the likes of Johnston & Murphy or Cole Haan. But recently I have been disappointed by J&M's offerings and Cole Haan is forever out of my price range. Besides their high-end signature line I find the rest of J&M's designs to be uninspired, trite and poorly constructed. Meanwhile, Cole Haan consistently churns out enviable shoes, but at a price tag that would launch a blitzkrieg on my bank account... and possibly induce mild vomiting when I got the bill.

I was feigning for the The Air Colton Saddle or The Pushover from the Cole Rood and Haan collection, until I looked at the price - $198 and $325 respectively:



Air Colton Saddle: $198 at Cole Haan

The Pushever: $325 at Cole Rood & Haan

In an attempt to by-pass the online ordering process I stopped into my local Florsheim store to check availability - no dice. While waiting to try on a pair of white bucks and secure my size I browsed and took note of many other affordable dress shoe options. It turns out I have been ignoring a gold mine of classic shoes at prices well under those of J&M. For instance my Kennett Saddles chinged in at only 90 bones! 

For staples shoes, such as a wingtip or cap-toe you can't go wrong with these well-priced options from Florsheim:



The Carleton: $160 at Florsheim

The Tolland: $90 at Florsheim

The underlying beauty of my new Kennett saddles is the nostalgic smell that has enveloped my room. I can't help but feel 10 years old as the new suede and red brick sole fuse together in a perfume that dances across my mind and makes me think that tomorrow I will relive the first day of Third grade.


New shoes - A thing of beauty.
And soon to take over my tiny room. 

So please - Rain, Rain, Go Away...

No comments:

Post a Comment