One part Eastwood,
One part Astaire.
Add a dash of Bogart.
Shake, strain and enjoy.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

BR Fall 2010

I am not a huge fan of Banana Republic. There was a time when most of my wardrobe was purchased from there but that was back before I had nailed down the concept of fit, fabric and design. I find that almost all of BR's pieces are lacking at least one of the three. Those that do manage to impress me and embrace these elements are marketed as their rugged Heritage line or their refined Monogram line and marked up beyond affordability for what they're worth.

I can honestly say that I haven't set foot in a Banana Republic in at least 6 months. It became too frustrating. I would find an item of interest, say based on design, only to discover that it was cut too boxy or "modern" as I believe they market it. Or I would find something cut slim and realize that the fabric choice made no sense. Or find an interesting fabric and not care for the design. Around and around I went with nothing to show for it but wasted money and increased donations to Goodwill. Even their basic sizing doesn't remain consistent. I bounced from a medium, to a small... a 32 to a 30 to a 31 inch waist. The clothes are not worth this must frustration - especially with the stellar design constantly pouring out of J. Crew. In fact, even if I had a choice between BR and Gap, Gap would get my dollar any day.

That being said I did actually find a few highlights after reviewing GQ's rundown of the Fall 2010 show. All images courtesy of GQ. View the full show here at GQ.com

I'm digging this black, what seems to be velvet jacket, especially paired with the slimmer khakis. Velvet jackets remind me of a contemporary take on one of my absolute favorite pieces of menswear - the smoking jacket. While this lacks all of the sophistication and detailing of the Victorian style, it is a socially acceptable substitute for the modern day. The texture gives off an air of elegance when worn in the right context, i.e. not "the club", so care should be given to styling such a piece so as to not look contrived. I could see myself in this trim jacket, gray flannel trousers and perhaps a rich colored bow tie at a holiday dinner party: 




The Norwegian sweater has been popping up all over the fall runways. Having a giraffe-ish neck, I tend to gravitate towards high-collared sweaters such as this. I like the muted pattern and oatmeal color - perfect pairing for jeans and a colorful button front shirt. I'm thankful that they chose buttons over a zipper to give it that added rustic, seaside feel. Just for the record, I'm not hip to the monotone vibe of this outfit and the collection in general. He looks like a damp day personified.  Too many earth tones and you just look drab:




I've been eying double breasted trenches for the past year but I can't find one that fits snuggly. I like the stark design and fit of this coat, although I don't know how it might translate over to a non-model-like, slim frame. Interesting color choice, which I find appealing as khaki seems to wash me out, black is harsh and navy is too monotone against my heavily blue wardrobe:



I have little doubt that these pieces were tailored to perfection before hitting the runway.  We'll see if they can actually deliver on the final in-store products.  I won't hold my breath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment