One part Eastwood,
One part Astaire.
Add a dash of Bogart.
Shake, strain and enjoy.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bourbon & Cigars

It's not even noon and I have bourbon and cigars on the brain. No I am not a derelict, rather preoccupied by a pattern found at the clothing purveyor Southern Proper. A post by one of my favorite style sites, Dreams of Perfection, alerted me to the company and I promptly disavowed myself of work obligations and perused the site thoroughly. All the buzz over the company is for an upcoming tie pattern featuring bean boots.  As exciting as that is, I think I much prefer this design from their arsenal:


Image: Souther Proper


Ever since Easter I have been wondering what the repercussions would be of adding bow ties more regularly into my daily wares. Snide remarks and mucho mocking aside, I would love to have the confidence to wear one casually about my daily activities. My fear is that it is a passing trend and I will look back and regret standing out in such an obvious way.



Image: Southern Proper

Regardless I love the idea of a bourbon and cigar repp tie. Talk about rugged meeting refined. Southern Proper offers it in a long form tie and bow tie variety. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of icon-ladden accessories as they can be campy and have a little too much ivy influence for my tastes. This, however, is a pattern I am willing to make an exception for.

On the other hand, this is completely unacceptable:


Image: Southern Proper
Appropriate for amateur magicians and catering co. bartenders.


When it comes to a tuxedo, think "What Would James Bond Do?" (minus Roger Moore) and leave the southern garb in the closet.

For more on Southern Proper visit their website at: southerproper.com

No comments:

Post a Comment