One part Eastwood,
One part Astaire.
Add a dash of Bogart.
Shake, strain and enjoy.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Hell Bent For Leather

Image: Nigel Cox for Esquire

The photo of this jacket calls to mind the image of an ivy league professor's office couch. With each brilliant colleague and eager student that nestles their hind end into its cushions, strokes of wisdom scar the leather giving it a weathered look. One that suggests hidden experience and worldly knowledge, making it a one of a kind piece of furniture... or in this case clothing.

While flipping through Esquire's Big Black Book I came across this exquisite product shot featuring a Polo Ralph Lauren leather jacket. I've never been all that interested in owning one until now. A leather jacket reminds me of two very different character types: the adventurous Indiana Jones and the New York goomba. Between these two extremes usually lies a middle aged man shuffling along in a black version - almost always a size too big. Regardless of their timelessness as a coat, I rarely see one that induces reverence instead of disgust.

However, this Ralph Lauren design seems to derive inspiration from a military motorcycle unit circa WWII. I've become entranced by the leather, which looks to be harvested from dozens of vintage catcher's mits and has the same aged expression as Walter Matthau's creviced face. It looks so soft and inviting, I don't know whether to wear it or nap on it. The standing collar, safari pockets and calculated button/strap detailing coupled with the buttery Italian hide makes for one downright rugged jacket. It's true allure is the intangible though - for I suspect this jacket could incite rapid career abandonment and world travel in mere moments... maybe even the need for a whip.

The sad thing is that I would need a job and two others to pay for it. You could buy a full sized couch for the price ($1,395).

At least Mr. Lauren has given me faith that an enviable leather jacket can (and does) exist.

Best seen in glossy print, browse the Big Black Book for the full effect.

Also online at Esquire.com

1 comment:

  1. Can I get a payment plan on this jacket cuz I really want I need 250 250 250 250

    ReplyDelete